Building a strong chest is something everybody wants but few know how to do well. If you’re looking to improve your chest strength, take a look at our ultimate chest workout. It’s specially designed to ensure you work all areas of your chest and build strength as well as muscle so you can feel as good as you look. A strong, built chest not only looks good, but it also enhances upper-body strength for a range of activities. It is vital not to neglect the chest muscles and the structure on which they depend.
Here are the some exercises that will give you excellent results:
Targeted muscle: Chest, shoulders, and arms
Push-ups are a great bodyweight exercise that hits your chest and arms. The beauty of the push-up is that you can do it anywhere and anytime by using your own body weight, you just need a firm surface.
How to do push-up
1. Lie face down, with your palms on the floor, next to your shoulders. You can also use a bench.
2. Keeping your back straight, push your hands into the ground so that your torso lifts upwards off the floor. Make sure your hands, wrists, and elbows stay in a straight line throughout the movement.
3. At the top, hold this position for a second and then lower yourself back down to your starting position. Hold this for a second and then repeat the above steps.
4. Keep your core locked as tight as possible throughout.
5. Aim to complete 10 reps.
2. Cable fly
Targeted muscles: Pectoralis major muscles
The cable fly is a fantastic exercise to strengthen all the muscles in your body that are used to push including your chest. The standing fly requires a lot of core body strength, too, so you’ll build your strength as well as your chest muscle mass.
How to do cable fly
- Start with both cable anchors just above shoulder height.
- Facing away from the cable machine, take a handle in each hand and pull them into your chest, then step forward and press your hands out in front of you. This is your start position.
- Slowly control your hands as they sweep out and backwards towards the anchors.
- On the same path, pull your arms forward and return to the start position. Avoid bending at the elbow as much as possible.
- Repeat until the set is complete.
3. The bench press
Targeted muscle group: The larger chest muscles.
The bench press is arguably the most popular exercise in the gym for chest development. The bench press heavily involves the large muscle groups of the chest, the shoulders, as well as the triceps. You can do the bench press either with more or fewer repetitions, as well as with heavy or light loads.
How to do bench press
1. Lie flat on the bench press and grip the bar, with your hands just wider than your shoulders.
2. Brace your whole body and lift the bar off the rack.
3. Slowly lower the bar so that it touches your chest and hold this position for a second.
4. Push the bar up in a fixed-line until your arms straighten. Hold this position for a second before repeating the process.
5. Make sure your feet are flat on the floor at all times, with your hips on the bench.
6. Aim for 3 sets of 6 to 12 repetitions.
4. Incline barbell bench press
Targeted muscle group: Arms, Chest, Shoulders
The incline barbell benchpress is also a great, compound mass builder for the Upper Chest. Incline bench press is a popular bodybuilding exercise that helps you develop a broad, muscular chest, which is the hallmark of a champion bodybuilder. This body part indeed requires extra attention because building your chest imparts a sturdy look and enhances the muscular impressiveness of the whole physique.
How to do incline barbell bench press
- Lie on an incline bench at a 45-degree angle.
- Grip the barbell wider than shoulder width and make sure wrists are straight to support the weight.
- Tuck elbows in slightly to prevent shoulder strain.
- Position your feet firmly on the floor and arch your back.
- Unrack the barbell and slowly lower to a few inches above mid-chest while retracting your shoulder blades.
- Drive through your heels while you push the barbell back to the top and contract your chest through the movement.